Yesterday Cyborg actor ray fisher shared a letter over Twitter stating he has been cut from ‘The Flash,’ along with other possible future projects. In a statement to Deadline, Warner confirmed his removal saying it was, in part, due to Fisher’s refusal to work with DC Films head Walter Hamada.
Hamada became president of DC Films in 2018, after “Justice League” first debuted in theaters to mixed reviews and low box office returns. His contract was renewed for another three years earlier this month.
“Walter Hamada is the most dangerous kind of enabler,” Fisher tweeted on Dec. 30, 2020 in response to a New York Times interview with Hamada. “He lies, and WB PR’s failed Sept. 4th hit-piece, sought to undermine the very real issues of the ‘Justice League’ investigation. I will not participate in any production associated with him.”
Fisher first revealed his problems with the studio this past July when the actor accused Joss Whedon of exhibiting “gross, abusive, unprofessional and completely unacceptable” behavior on set during reshoots for the 2017 flop, Justice League. Warner Bros. followed with a third party investigation into the allegations which resulted in “remedial actions.” During said investigation, Fisher reportedly refused to take part and his new issues with Walter Hamada surfaced.
In the letter, which is included above, Fisher expressed his thoughts on Hamada has undermined investigations into conditions on the Justice League set, specifically to protect creative head Geoff Johns. Previously, Fisher has stated Whedon was enabled by DC Creative Geoff Johns and Producer Jon Berg in “many ways.” Soon after sharing his letter, fans of the Cyborg actor had #IStandWithRayFisher trending.
“As has been previously stated, an extensive investigation was conducted by an outside law firm, led by a former federal judge who has assured WarnerMedia that there were no impediments to the investigation,” a spokesperson said to Deadline. “Last summer, Mr. Fisher was offered the opportunity to reprise his role as Cyborg in The Flash. Given his statement that he will not participate in any film associated with Mr. Hamada, our production is now moving on. Warner Bros. remains in business with Geoff Johns who continues to produce Stargirl, Batwoman, Doom Patrol, Superman & Lois, and Titans for the studio, among other projects.”
According to Fisher, his responsibilities during this investigation have always been about protecting “those who were brave enough to lend their voice to the ‘Justice League’ investigation.” Fisher stated that he wants to use what little power he has left to ensure workplace behavior exhibited by officials during the Justice League reshoots of 2017 never happens again.
“I believe in Walter Hamada and that he did not impede or interfere in the investigation,” Ann Sarnoff, the Chair and CEO of WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Group also said in a statement. “Furthermore, I have full confidence in the investigation’s process and findings. Walter is a well-respected leader, known by his colleagues, peers, and me as a man of great character and integrity. As I said in Walter’s recent deal extension announcement, I’m excited about where he’s taking DC Films and look forward to working with him and the rest of the team to build out the DC Multiverse.”
What the ongoing conflict means for the entire DC Extended Universe remains unclear but reports suggest Warner is trying to move past the entire conflict.