@dailyplanetdc

Downtown, Minneapolis—unfiltered (best with 🎧) Did you know? The Daily Planet is based in the #Metropolis of the north Midwest? We settled in the City of Lakes in late 2021 after growing our roots in #Hibbing and Duluth, Minnesota. #Minneapolis #LoringPark

♬ original sound - Daily Planet

A Spring evening in Downtown, Minneapolis

Enjoy a quiet and quaint, yet noisy, evening in the city we call home.

1 min read

Did you know that the Daily Planet is based in the Metropolis of the north Midwest? We settled in the City of Lakes in late 2021 after growing our roots in Hibbing and Duluth, Minnesota. 

The Daily Planet started on my family’s hobby farm on the outskirts of Hibbing, Minnesota in 2014. It flourished there just like my grandmother’s garden for the next three years until I moved to nearby Duluth to attend the University of Minnesota (UMD).

My major was in journalism, with a minor in art, and my intention was to grow the Daily Planet into a legitimate news organization with a full staff and reputable reputation. I soon started at UMD’s student-run news organization The Bark in 2017. I started this website in a class there in 2018.

At The Bark I learned the ropes of coverage and the importance of ethics. I soon progressed through the ranks there and became Online Managing Editor by 2019 before graduating.

I moved back to the family farm to care for my ailing grandmother in 2020 and remained there due to the pandemic. Then I, along with the Planet, made the move to Minneapolis.

Zack Benz

Zack Benz has been a fan of the Daily Planet since he was eight years old. The Daily Planet has always been a beacon of hope for him and it’s his life’s mission to make it shine in a similar light to so many around the world. Zack graduated with a degree in journalism and art from the University of Minnesota Duluth in 2019.