MINNEAPOLIS— The Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) has seen a trend of mainly Spanish speaking construction workers being targeted for robbery while sitting on job sites in their vehicle and theft from their unlocked vehicle while parked on job sites. These incidents have happened in the 3rd and 5th Precincts.
The MPD stated that fourteen incidents were reported recently with “a similar pattern.” According to MPD reports, some victims have reported that male and female juveniles were the suspects, some in large groups, and some instances brandishing a gun.
Cash, weapons, power tools, wallets, and passports have reportedly been stolen in these incidents. Some arrests have been made, but the MPD reported that these robberies continue to happen in the two precincts.
Police advised that people to remain vigilant and keep their vehicles locked. If you hire a contractor to do work at your home, inform them of this trend and encourage them to ensure they are properly securing their vehicle.
The MPD also reminds people that they should never store personal identification documents like passports or a driver’s license in your vehicle. Share this information with your block clubs and neighbors. Keep serial numbers of work tools for recovery purposes.
Report suspicious behavior to 911. This includes people looking into cars and trying door handles. Be a good witness. If you can safely record information, please share it with officers. Bellow are recent incidents.
Nov. 1, 2023
- Theft (Attempt only): 43XX 44th Av S (2:49pm)
- Auto Theft: 43XX Garfield Av S (4:03pm)
Nov. 2, 2023
- Robbery: 25XX 11th Av S (11:29am)
- Theft: 30XX Oakland Av S (11:30am)
- Theft: 52 St E/17 Av S (12:02pm)
- Theft: 53rd St E/31st Av S (1:07pm)
- Theft: 44XX 42nd Av S (1:22pm)
- Theft: 44 Av/34 St E (1:17pm)
- Theft: 15XX Franklin Av S (1:58pm)
- Theft: 15XX 25 St W (2:00pm)
- Theft: 61XX 10th Av S (2:30pm)
- Robbery: 32XX 32nd Av S (4:25pm)