The 2023 Minneapolis Arbor Day Celebration will be bringing Minneapolitans an entertaining evening in appreciation of trees to Windom Northeast Park on Friday, April 28, 4-8 pm.
The rotating annual springtime celebration of Minneapolis’ wonderful tree canopy returns to Northeast Minneapolis this year for the first time since Logan Park hosted in 2016.
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) Forestry Department and its network of community partners have built this event into a premier park party over recent years. In a statement MPRB said the park features a truly unique array of tree-themed activities for all ages, live music, great food, a beer garden, and special twists that reflect the neighborhood it’s hosted in each year. More than 150 trees will be planted across the park during the event.
- Windom Northeast Park is located at 2251 Hayes St. NE
- The park is commonly accessed via one of two high-traffic streets that intersect at its northwest corner, Johnson Street NE and Lowry Avenue NE
- Parking is extremely limited. Please consider walking, biking or taking transit.
- The 4 and 32 bus lines stop at the park
- Extra bike racks will be brought in for the event
- Help plant a tree in Windom Park! MPRB Arborists will lead tree planting excursions throughout the park every half hour between 4:30 pm and 6:30 pm. There are more than 150 trees to plant during the event, so everyone is encouraged to help out!
- Bartlett Tree Experts will be giving away free tree seedlings to take home.
Arbor day activities
- Harnessed tree climbing under the supervision of forestry professionals
- Bucket truck rides offering incredible views of the park and beyond
- Tree-sized lawn games like chess, checkers and Kubb
- Tree-themed art and an opportunity to provide input on a new mural planned for the exterior of the Windom Park warming room building
- Ask an Arborist booth giving out free advice on tree care questions
- Custom nature play area
- Information and activities from environmental and neighborhood organizations
- Windom Park Citizens in Action is planning a special Movie in the Park screening of a tree-themed film after the festivities conclude, stay tuned for details.
- Outdoor Movie in the Park is weather-dependent
- The Brewery Running Series is hosting its annual Arbor Day Run at the park with proceeds supporting urban forestry outreach.
- New this year is a Sapling Dash for kids!
Food, drink and entertainment
- Live music features the return of The Arborators, a band comprised of forestry professionals who will play a set from the treetops, the Brass Messengers, and other local bands still to be determined
- Food trucks include Café Cairo, Habanero Tacos, KCM EggRolls, iPierogi, and Dough Dough Desserts
- Beer Garden includes a variety of offerings from local breweries, sponsored by Modist Brewing and Brewing a Better Forest