//

Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai denies making sexual assault claim

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai told Singaporean newspaper Lianhe Zaobao on Sunday that her allegation of sexual abuse had been misinterpreted.

Peng’s social media post, in which she made the allegation, and her subsequent disappearance from public view prompted global concern.


The Women’s Tennis Association, which has suspended matches in China over the issue, said Shuai’s latest statement did not address its concerns about her wellbeing.

The association reiterated its call for “a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault.”

“We remain steadfast in our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern,” the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) said in a statement.

The claim apparently contradicted a 2 November social media post, in which Peng accused the former vice premier Zhang Gaoli of having coerced her into sex.

The essay was taken down less than 30 minutes after it was published, and Peng became the centre of a global media storm after disappearing from public view for more than two weeks after the essay.

The Women’s Tennis Association has suspended all tournaments in China earlier this month in response.


Resources for individuals seeking assistance with sexual assault

  • US — National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1−800−799−7233
  • Canada — https://sheltersafe.ca/find-help/#call
  • UK — National Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 2000 247
  • Ireland — Women’s Aid: 1800 341 900
  • Australia — 1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732
  • New Zealand — It’s Not OK Helpline: 0800 456 450
  • India — The National Commission for Women’s WhatsApp helpline: 72177-35372

Daily Planet

Stories published by the Daily Planet are either guest pieces, press releases, articles from outside news sources and/or content that was sent to us.

Leave a Reply

Previous Story

Senator Joe Manchin says he won’t support Build Back Better plan

Next Story

Former student activist Gabriel Boric becomes Chile’s youngest president

Latest from News

Latest Online Edition

Latest Magazine