2021 is a year for new beginnings. A year to forget the last. Like Harley Quinn in “Birds of Prey,” we all want to start our lives anew. What better way than with Gotham City’s signature breakfast sandwich featured in the movie?
Remember to add only a dash of hot sauce because you need to taste the cheese. Make sure you don’t drop your sandwich!
The Perfect Egg Sandwich
- Two large skillets
- Grill press or another heavy-bottomed skillet
- Bread knife
- Heat-safe pastry brush
- 4 torta sandwich bread or hoagie rolls
- 8 slices of American cheese
- 8 eggs
- 12 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- hot sauce of your choosing
- Heat one of the skillets over medium heat on the stovetop and cook the bacon until crispy. Drain the excess fat as necessary into a clean container for future use and dry the cooked bacon on a paper towel-lined plate.
- While the bacon cooks, slice the rolls in half lengthwise along the side, then set aside. Heat the other skillet over a medium flame.
- When hot, brush melted butter onto the cut sides of one of the rolls and place them face-down on the skillet. Top the bun with a grill press or another skillet. Let toast a minute and a half to two minutes before transferring to a cutting board. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
- Place three strips of bacon on the bottom half of each sandwich.
- Brush both skillets with melted butter and crack two eggs on each as close together as possible. Season with kosher salt.
- Flip the eggs when the whites almost entirely set, then top each pile with two slices of cheese. When the edges of the cheese melt, transfer each egg pile on top of the bacon.
- Repeat steps five and six with the remaining eggs and cheese.
- Add two dashes of hot sauce to the top of the cheese on each sandwich. Then top with the other half of the bun and slice in half before serving.