Volume 50, Issue 46 | 2001
CROWS WIN STATE CHAMPIONSHIP FOR WALT!
Burton Carries Team
By George “The Streak” Talmer
Reprinted from Saturday’s Smallville Ledger
Interim Head Coach Wayne Quigly has been waiting in the wings for years as Walt Arnold’s brilliant defensive coordinator and assistant head coach. Well, last week in front of an estimated 10,000 screaming fans at the LuthorDome in Metropolis, the Crows knocked off heavily favored Robert Dole High School 21-7, bringing Smallville its third Kansas State title in school history.
Wearing black wristbands with the initials “W.A.” on them, the Crows held the Jayhawks’ top-rated offense to its lowest point total this season. “We blitzed ’em hard all night and really threw them off of their game plan,” howled Crows linebacker Trevor Chapell, back from serving his one-game suspension. All-State candidate Whitney Fordman put up unimpressive numbers–by his standards–going a lackluster 9 for 28 for 112 yards and chucking two interceptions.
Many Division I scouts were in attendance, a fact that could help running back Nathan Burton’s chances for getting a scholarship. Burton, seemingly well-rested from his one-game suspension, carried the load for the Crows, rushing for 182 yards and two touchdowns. Fordman, the consummate team player, did not seem affected by his weak performance. “We won the game and the title. That’s all that matters, we did it for the man!” yelled Fordman as he pointed to the ceiling of the LuthorDome in obvious reference to Coach Walt Arnold. “This is not my win”, commented Coach Quigly, “This was Walt’s 201st”.
A parade is planned for 2 p.m. next Sunday in downtown, with a ceremony on the steps of city hall immediately following.
- WHERE ARE OUR PRIORITIES?
- TORCH TORCHED
- HEROES REVEALED!
- CROWS WIN STATE CHAMPIONSHIP FOR WALT!
- A DECENT BOYFRIEND AND OTHER URBAN LEGENDS
- FIRE AND ICE AND EVERYTHING NOT SO NICE
- Smallville: America’s Strangest Town
- TAKE YOURSELF OUT OF THE DRIVER’S SEAT
- THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL SPEECH EVER GIVEN IN SMALLVILLE
- NORMAL GIRLS OF THE WORLD UNITE!
- MY SEASON AS A BENCHWARMER: Doing My Part For The Cause
- SMALLVILLE: MUTANT CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
- SMALLVILLE: LAND OF THE STRANGE
- RESPECT: IT’S NOT EXTINCT
- KWAN CRUSHES FREEDOM OF SPEECH
- WE WANT YOUR BLOOD