Volume 50, Issue 48 | 2001
MY SEASON AS A BENCHWARMER
Doing My Part For The Cause
by Pete Ross
Pick up any sports page, even the Torch‘s, and you’ll read headlines about how the quarterback won the game for the football team or how the pitcher led the baseball team to victory. But there’s another story you may not know. It’s the one about the player with the unofficial position that’s just as important: the benchwarmer. I should know–this year, it was me.
The benchwarmer is no slacker position. I still ran in all the drills, lifted all the weights, played in all the scrimmages. Man, I was also scout team running back! I venture to say that a major reason our defense was so good this year was because they had the greatest tackling dummy in the state of Kansas to pound on. Those dudes would smash me! This is important. I inspire confidence.
As benchwarmer, your job is not to actually “warm the bench.” You have real responsibilities. During the games, a benchwarmer is sort of like a fan who gets to wear the pads without being considered a freak. You’re there to pat your boys’ shoulders after they make a huge play. You’re there to pick a brother up when he’s feeling down about a fumble. And you’re also there when the guy in front of you on the depth chart goes down with an injury. Your job is to always be ready. And most importantly, your job is to have a good attitude.
The coaches say I give the team a lot of heart. And I appreciate that. Giving my all to the cause gave me a sense of tremendous satisfaction this season. And in the end, I got to be part of a state championship team.
I enjoyed my first season with the Crows and was glad to learn that it’s not always a bad thing to warm the bench. Next time you go to a game–any game–look for that guy on the bench–he’s doing his part.
- WHERE ARE OUR PRIORITIES?
- TORCH TORCHED
- HEROES REVEALED!
- CROWS WIN STATE CHAMPIONSHIP FOR WALT!
- A DECENT BOYFRIEND AND OTHER URBAN LEGENDS
- FIRE AND ICE AND EVERYTHING NOT SO NICE
- Smallville: America’s Strangest Town
- TAKE YOURSELF OUT OF THE DRIVER’S SEAT
- THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL SPEECH EVER GIVEN IN SMALLVILLE
- NORMAL GIRLS OF THE WORLD UNITE!
- MY SEASON AS A BENCHWARMER: Doing My Part For The Cause
- SMALLVILLE: MUTANT CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
- SMALLVILLE: LAND OF THE STRANGE
- RESPECT: IT’S NOT EXTINCT
- KWAN CRUSHES FREEDOM OF SPEECH
- WE WANT YOUR BLOOD