DC will celebrate the 68th birthday of George Pérez, one of the titans of the comic industry, with a two-page spread featuring some of his most beloved characters in each of its June periodical releases.
Working from a layout designed by Dan Jurgens, some of the industry’s biggest names including Jim Lee, Walter Simonson, Alex Ross, Dave Gibbons, Todd McFarlane, Daniel Sampere, Jerry Ordway, Nicola Scott and many more, collaborated on the colorful spread.
“When I was asked to come up with a design and layout that would honor George Pérez and his many incredible contributions to DC Comics over the years, I was truly honored,” said Dan Jurgens. “I have admired George’s work since I first saw it and have had the good fortune to work with him in different capacities, on a number of projects. More importantly, I’ve been able to see the way George treats fans and readers, always smiling, gregarious and approachable. It was a joy to watch this cover come together and I’m sure everyone who contributed feels the same way.”
The tribute features the following DC characters that Pérez is most known for, as well as the man himself, drawn by a number of the top artists in the industry and colored by Hi-Fi:
- The Monitor and Anti-Monitor – Jim Lee and Scott Williams
- Trigon – Todd McFarlane
- The Spectre – Alex Ross
- Darkseid – Walter Simonson
- Firestorm and The Justice League Satellite – Scott Kolins
- Ares and Hippolyta – Phil Jimenez
- Cheetah and The Amazons – Colleen Doran
- Lady H.I.V.E. and H.I.V.E. Agents – Scott Koblish
- Vigilante – Dave Gibbons
- Cheshire – Joëlle Jones
- Brother Blood – Darryl Banks
- Blackfire – Mike McKone
- Gizmo and Mammoth – Klaus Janson
- Shimmer – Bruno Redondo
- Psimon – Mikel Janín
- Neutron and Jinx – Dan Mora
- The Legion of Super-Heroes – Francis Manapul
- The Justice Society of America – Jerry Ordway
- Power Girl and Huntress – Kevin Maguire
- The Justice League of America (and the background) – Dan Jurgens and Norm Rapmund
- Superboy-Prime and Alexander Luthor – Ivan Reis
- Supergirl – Gary Frank
- Harbinger – Adam Hughes
- Pariah – Daniel Sampere
- Jericho and Kole – Nicola Scott
- The New Teen Titans, Deathstroke and George Pérez – José Luis García-López
Accompanying the spread on a separate page will be a key highlighting the characters and artists that participated.
In addition to being included in all of DC’s June issues, the tribute will also be featured as a variant cover for “Dark Crisis no.7.” Each issue of the event series will feature a cover highlighting a previous crisis event from DC’s history, starting with the genre defining “Crisis on Infinite Earths” by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez for issue no.1. Artwork and additional details on each of the covers will be announced at a later date.
“George Pérez is one of my favorite comic storytellers of all time. To say he’s a ‘great artist’ is a massive understatement,” said “Dark Crisis” Writer Joshua Williamson. “His work on the original Crisis of Infinite Earths inspired so much of my love for DC Comics. When I saw DC editors pull together this incredible piece with so many amazing legendary artists celebrating George, I won’t lie, it was emotional. And now it’s an honor to have this tribute be a cover to ‘Dark Crisis.'”
A special version of the “Dark Crisis no.7” variant cover will be available for sale by The Hero Initiative to raise funds for one of Pérez’s favorite charities. Pérez is a founding member of Hero Initiative’s board of directors and has served as chair of its Disbursement Committee.